Sunday, June 5, 2011

4. The Granny Stripes Blanket for Ben

I'm first and foremost a yarn whore.  Ha!  It's true. I love yarn.  I mean lurve it. Really I do. I'm a knitter, you see. I started knitting years ago when I wanted a new hobby that I was certain wouldn't give me lung cancer. It's super hard to light up a strand of Malabrigo and smoke it.  So I started knitting and quit smoking.  Yay me!

Fast forward a gazillion years (actually it's more like 10-ish, but I can't remember) and it's dawned on me that I've frogged elventy-billion more projects I've ever started knitting than I have finished.  If you scroll down, you'll see three of my ever finished knitting projects.  The problem I have with knitting is that I'm slow.  Like sloth slow.  Like oh-my-gawd-just-stop-already-and-go-buy-a-friggin'-hat-because-you'll-never-finish-whatever-crap-that-is-on-your-knitting-needles-before-global-warming-takes-over-and-we-all-die-of-heat-and-methane-exposure-anyway slow.

Enter crochet.  I first learned to crochet when I was a little girl, but it didn't last. In the last few months, I picked up the hook and a ball of yarn and gave it another go.  I was amazed at how fast I am with this hobby.  Like fat dog fast (mostly I lay around, napping, but if a squirrel were to cross my path, I'd make a go of chasing it. That kind of fast.) I decided that if I have wanted to have a shot of finishing an heirloom style project for one of my kids before I went senile, I needed to find a craft that was a whole lot faster (but not nearly as expensive as quilting. I'm also cheap, you know.)  I spoke with the lovely lady that runs my LYS (that's "local yarn store" for those of you who are obviously NOT on Ravelry) and asked for a project recommendation.  She pointed me to the easy-peasy, portable Granny Stripes blanket from Attic24.

I'm about 40% done with it.  I'm hoping that it will be completed by the time we move Ben to his Big Boy bed. I may or may not be delaying said move so I can finish this dang blanket.  Here is my big boy modeling it now. It's actually a good size for a tallis (that's a Jewish prayer shawl for those of you who are probably not Jewish) which he likes to wear it Russian bubbe style. 


No comments:

Post a Comment